Port-Au-Prince

Port-au-Prince, Jan 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) It was a miracle of sorts, when a man who had been buried in the Haiti earthquake rubble, was pulled out after 14 days. He was buried in the rubble of a building, that had been scavenged numerous times, and this time around some looters saw him, and called for help from the US soldiers.
The soldiers of the U.S. Army 82nd Airborne Division rescued that hapless man – Rico Dibrivell, from a ruined and devastated building on the Rue de Miracle in downtown Port-au-Prince. After his rescue Rico was treated for a broken leg and very acute dehydration. The 35-year-old Rico Dibrivell said that he was hopelessly trapped under the rubble of the building since the earthquake struck Haiti on 12th January. He was promptly sent to the hospital for medical aid. “He got sent to the hospital. He’s going to make it,” Specialist Andrew Pourak, one of the rescuers, said. “There’s an estimated 1 million unaccompanied or orphaned children or children who lost one parent,” said Kate Conradt, a spokeswoman for the aid group Save the Children. “They are extremely vulnerable.”
The 7.0-magnitude Haitian earthquake happened around 4.53 p.m. local time on 12th January, according to the United States Geological Survey, making it the strongest earthquake ever recorded within 200 kilometers. It struck about 10 miles southwest of the country’s capital, Port-au-Prince. The earthquake had a depth of only 10 kilometers (6.2 miles), so there was severe damage due to it