Health and Human Development
Health Issues for Australia’s Youth
On completion of this unit the student should be able to outline health issues relevant to Australia’s youth and, in relation to a specific health issue, analyse strategies or programs that have an impact on youth health and development.
You are encouraged to thoroughly research 2 health issues that affect Australia’s Youth. Some examples of appropriate issues include:
• mental health
• weight issues
• tobacco smoking
• alcohol use
• illicit substance use
• sun protection
• sexual and reproductive health
• food allergies
The key features of one health issue for Australia’s youth, including:
• Description of the issue and why it is an issue for youth.
• Relevant statistics in relation to incidence, prevalence and changes over time.
• The impact of the issue on the health of youth.
• The impact of the issue on the development of youth.
• Determinants that act as risk and/or protective factors for the issue.
• The effectiveness of a government, community or personal strategy or program to address the issue selected.
Some useful websites that can be utilised for your research:
Internet safety www.netalert.gov.au
Kids Help Line www.kidshelp.com.au/
Living independently www.aihw.gov.au/housing/sacs/saap
Melbourne sexual health centre www.mshc.org.au
Road safety www.arrivealive.com.au
Sane Australia www.sane.org/
The Better Health Channel www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au
The Cancer Council of Victoria www.sunsmart.com.au
Youth Substance Abuse Service www.ysas.org.au/young_people/young_people.html
Asthma Foundation of Victoria www.asthma.org.au
Australian Drug foundation www.druginfo.adf.org.au/
Australian Institute of health and welfare www.aihw.gov.au
Beyond blue www.beyondblue.org.au
Centre for Adolescent health www.rch.org.au
Child and Youth Health.