Easy Steps to Learn
IBM – Rational Functional Tester (RFT)
1) Introduction 2
2) RFT Menu Items 3
3) Recording 11
4) Replay 13
5) Simple Java Scripting 14
6) Verification Points 17
7) Properties Verification Points 17
8) Database Scripts 19
9) Data Pool Tests 21
10) Coding Standards 22
11) Scripting Guidelines 23
Chapter –1: Introduction
2 Need For Automation
Speed – Automation scripts run very fast when compared to human users.
Reliable – Tests perform precisely the same operations each time they are run, thereby eliminating human error.
Repeatable – We can test how the application reacts after repeated execution of the same operations.
Programmable – We can program sophisticated tests that bring out hidden information.
Comprehensive – We can build a suite of tests that covers every feature in our application.
Reusable – We can reuse tests on different versions of an application, even if the user interface changes.
4 Automation Rules
Testing tools are usually very expensive. The Test Manger or the Test lead has to think twice before going in for automating his test effort. There are also some widely held false notions or beliefs about automation tools. In general, the golden rules that should be kept in mind in the regard are:
1. Product feature understanding, test planning, test case documentation, test bed setup, defect tracking, progression tests are all done in manual mode
2. Test automation success depends on robustness of the test cases not on the test tool.
3. Every manual step has commands in test script
4. If it is not worth, DO NOT automate.
5. Do not build application logic in your test script
6. Always have a common known base state for test cases
7. One test script must address one test case
5 Rational Functional Tester Features
The following are.