• In 4 women will be a victim of domestic violence in their lifetime – many of these on a number of occasions.
• One incident of domestic violence is reported to the police every minute.
• On average, 2 women a week are killed by a current or former male partner.
• Domestic violence accounts for between 16% and one quarter of all recorded violent crime
• Domestic violence accounts for between 16% and one quarter of all
• recorded violent crime
Why is it hidden?
• There are a few reasons on why:
• They may be ashamed of what has happened
• They may feel they were to some extent to blame
• They may love their partner and not want him to be criticized or punished for what he did
• They may think it was a one-off event and won’t happen again
• They may be frightened that if they tell anyone about it, their partner will find out and they will be in danger of further and perhaps more severe violence from him.
Why does it happen?
Domestic violence happens everyday and it is on the increase plus there are no sings of it stopping, One reason why domestic violence happens is because the two people who are together, whether just a simple girlfriend and boyfriend relationship or a marriage, just don’t belong together and clash constantly over everything. It starts out as verbal arguments but can often lead to much worse scenarios. The worst part about these situations is that once the domestic violence starts, chances are it is going to continue until either someone gets badly. Domestic violence happens normally dude to the build up of rage then it has to be releases at some point and inside a family it is the easiest to let out the anger since you know the people and the abuser are led to believe that they are entitled to do what they want, so when they are pushed off the edge their rage turns into physical aggression. It is a terrible thing to happen to someone and unfortunately it happens.